Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Heroes come in all sizes

First of all, thanks to Janet George of Child Care Services in Raleigh, North Carolina for sending me the link to this absolutely charming video. Before getting to the video, just let me say that Janet George is one of those people that sees the best in everyone. She trains the KIT Opening Doors to Inclusive Programs series in North Carolina, and is a very, very passionate and dynamic advocate for inclusion.

OK, now, back to the video. If you’ve attended many KIT trainings the first thing you may notice about this video is that the reporter uses dignifying language (“the child has autism”), but what really got me was the little charmer featured in the story. Click on the link and watch the video, then meet me back here.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=8840563

Did you watch it? How great is this story? A child with a disability (who I will admit to being partial to since he does have red hair) learns the Heimlich maneuver in Cub Scouts and then applies it to save the life of his teacher. Do you see where I am going with this? INCLUSION SAVES LIVES!! I might have to get that on a t-shirt or a bumper sticker. Seriously though, this child acquired a skill in a recreational setting, and pulled it out of his pocket when it was needed most. We know that scouting programs teach very valuable life skills; skills that all children need and will serve them well in throughout their life. Let’s all do what we can to ensure that children like our little red-headed friend here have the opportunities to participate in these typical childhood activities.

I love how the teacher is getting emotional about his saving her life, and he is kind of blasé about the whole thing. I love how he says it’s his “first time saving a life” as if he expects he will save many more lives in the future. My absolute favorite moment, though, is when he asks the reporter “Can we get back to the part about me being a hero?” This, of course, shatters a common misconception that children with autism don’t want to interact socially or can’t be empathetic. Let’s all say it together- HE SAVED HIS TEACHER’S LIFE! If grabbing a choking adult around the gut to save her life isn’t social and empathetic, I don’t what is. How many of us would have the courage to do the same in an emergency situation?

Is this child a hero? In my book, absolutely. He did the hard thing, when it was needed the most.

Inclusion is….inspiring.

Bookmark and Share



1 comments:

Unknown said...

Torrie thanks for sharing such an inspiring story!