Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What Can You Learn from Jury Duty?



 I just finished my jury duty service. I seem to get jury duty a lot (I had federal jury duty this past summer), and yet I have never been selected to sit as a juror in a trial. I’ve heard it is a good experience and while I am not at all opposed to doing it, I do admit to feeling a little put out when I am forced to miss work to appear in the jury pool. Each time I hope that I will be sent home just before lunch so I can make it to the office without missing too much. This time my name was called as a prospective juror at 2:00pm. As I rode up in the elevator to Department 48 I still hoped that I would not be selected and would be relieved by 4:00pm or so. As it happens, I had quite a moving experience as I walked into the courtroom and took my seat. My perspective completely shifted due to something that happened in my own family.

A number of years ago my younger brother was run over by an 18-wheeler while on a motorcycle. He was air lifted to the trauma center and remained in the ICU for some time. His recovery was slow and painful, and the physical effects will be with him for his lifetime. He sued the oil company whose driver had not followed the rules of the road, leading to the accident. I spent many hours in the courtroom during the trial. It was an emotional and disturbing process. I remember hoping every day for a jury of reasonable citizens who would do the right thing when presented with the evidence. As I walked into the courtroom yesterday all of those feelings came flooding back to me. I realized that the people involved in this trial deserved thoughtful, reasonable people to actively listen to everything presented and with a clear and open mind make the best decision possible. I realized that it was my duty to be that person, if selected as a juror. I had a much greater understanding that these were people involved in this unfortunate situation and what was decided would have a real impact on their lives. My personal experience created a sense of empathy for others.

As I reflect I realize that in our work at KIT we often help people connect their own experience in their families with the philosophy of inclusion. When people can imagine how they would like someone in their own family who has a disability to be welcomed and accepted by the community, that is often what helps them become more accepting of people with disabilities.  One of my great mentors and a KIT co-founder, Dr. Mary Shea, often says that disability is one of the only minority groups with open enrollment. Thus, you can join the population of people with disabilities at any time, and so can any of your friends or family members. In training sessions this is often when we see the spark of connection in the participants. This is the “ah-ha” moment for many as they resolve to treat others the way they would want their own family members to be treated. I have also had many people tell me that after enduring a temporary disability, for instance a broken leg that requires them to use a wheelchair or walker, they have a greater sense of what it is to live in the world with a disability. They always say, “I get it. I get what you do now.” And while it is true that a temporary disability cannot truly simulate the experience of a lifelong disability, it is a powerful empathy-builder.

And that is what it is about, right? We are humans here on this earth, having life experiences all the time that shape who we are and how we interact in the world. At KIT we realize that changing attitudes towards disability, and helping people understand that disability is a natural part of life is critical to our work. Once attitudes have changed and people are more accepting they will find ways to ensure that everyone in their child development center or after school program is welcomed and supported. It becomes intuitive. I was grateful this week to see how personal experience affected perception in my own life. I will never look at jury duty in the same way again. 

0 comments: